If you wanted to support breast cancer research this
month, there were many ways to do it. Everywhere you looked, there
was pink merchandise with the promise that some of the profit from
purchases would go to the fight against breast cancer.
But there are many different ways to donate to your favorite health
Here are seven suggestions for supporting your favorite cause.
1. Just write a check. This is the most straightforward method of
donating. But make sure you keep records for tax purposes. And check
whether your employer matches charitable donations.
2. Donate your airline miles . Using frequent-flier miles for
vacations can often be difficult, so you might want to consider
using the miles for a charitable organization. These miles can be
used to help patients fly to other cities, or even countries, for
treatment. Check with the airline for details and to find out which
health charities they support.
3. Participate in a walk or race. These events often require
participants to solicit donations from family and friends. You can
help your favorite health charity and get in shape at the same time.
4. Buy merchandise. Purchase items from companies that make
donations to help in the research or treatment of people with
various health problems. Do your research to determine how much
money is going to the health charity. Determine if it makes more
sense to buy a cheaper product and make a direct donation.
5. donate car, boat or property. Many organizations, such as the
American Diabetes Association, accept some of these items.
6. Donate your time. Work as a volunteer for the health organization
of your choice, or you may prefer to spend time working in a
hospital or other facility.
7. Give of yourself. Donate blood. This simple activity can help
patients with a wide variety of health problems. Let your loved ones
know if you would like to donate your organs when you die. That kind
of generosity could save many lives.
You can watch morning anchor Carolyn Clifford's Health Edge reports
starting at 5 a.m. weekdays during "WXYZ Channel 7 Action News."